Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

ROAD TRIP

We just got home yesterday from a three day road trip---mostly just for fun---but also so that I could go to a retirement party for one of my friends. While we were tripping we saw six of our kids and seven of our grandkids so we had a good trip.

The guy retiring's career and my career crossed many, many times. He worked for me on the fire team for quite a few years, and I worked for him at the winter olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002. We worked closely through our careers (starting in 1976) and I replaced him on the District when he went to help manage the Olympics where he was the assistant director. I'm telling you I hold this fine man in great esteem.

At his party a Senator and a Congressman had letters read to him about how they felt he was such a valuable asset to them. He had two retired Regional Foresters there. The current one was not. I don't know for sure how many people were there but it was a lot---A LOT. I got to see many people at this party that it is likely I will never see again in my life time.

He has terminal cancer and has had for several years. When he was diagnosed he told me he was going to live long enough to see his son graduate from Medical School. I have no doubt he will accompish that. We had other friends diagnosed with the same type of cancer at nearly the same time, and they are gone now.

I told a few stories about him when I talked but near the end of what I had to say I started to cry and was unable to finish. I was embarassed but couldn't get my voice to work. Since I got home I have had many messages saying I hit it right on the head with my comments and they thought I did good. I dunno about that but I do know that I love this guy---AND I HATE IT THAT HE IS GOING TO DIE FROM CANCER.

HERE IS HOPING THAT YOU CAN ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT MY FRIEND.

3 comments:

Nene said...

I don't know if it's a sign of the times, or just because I'm older now, but I am sure knowing a lot of people who have cancer now and that really sucks. Sorry about your friend.

Looney said...

The story is sad. I am at a stage where I am starting to look forward to retirement. But it seems there is another side to things.

Native Minnow said...

No shame in getting a little misty eyed. I'm sure the room was just dusty. And isn't allergy season just around the corner?