Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

THE TAX MAN COMETH

Yeterday was tax day at our house. We went to the tax man and had them done. I do that because the company where we have them done went to the two audits we have had and defended our filing. I had to go too but he did all of the talking and we didn't have to pay anything additional. On top of that they know all the rule changes and about all of the new refund possibilities AND TAKE ALL THE STRESS OUT OF PREPARING THE FORMS.

We usually get refunds from both Federal and State because we over pay the taxes so we don't have to come up with any money this time of year when money has always been tight for us. This year I was retired and the place that sends my retirement checks did not take out any State taxes this year. NOPE---NONE. Luckily when I was on fires they took out our normal taxes and this helped us not to have to dig up more money to pay them. We had to pay a pretty large sum in income tax to the State at the end of the day.

I don't feel at all bad about paying the income taxes---never have---because it means that I made a pretty good sum of money to have to pay them. QUITE FRANKLY I WISH I HAD MADE ENOUGH MONEY TO HAVE HAD TO PAY AN ADDITIONAL MILLION DOLLARS IN. My only point in this is that I wish I had caught that they weren't holding the taxes out before we got the retirement checks. That would have helped us not to have to dig up the money right now. I made the change for next year but we'll probably have to pay some additional because they won't start taking it out until March.

IT WAS A GREAT DAY BECAUSE OUR FEDERAL RETURN WAS LARGER THAN OUR BILL TO THE STATE---IT'LL TAKE SOME TIME TO RECIEVE IT BUT AT LEAST IT IS COMING.

2 comments:

Delirious said...

When we first came back from China, we went to a tax attorney because the whole ex-pat thing has special rules. We decided to keep having him do our taxes after that so that they would all be uniform in case we get audited. He was our stake president, so that was nice. :) I don't mind paying the fee to have him do them because he has also helped with our kids' taxes as well.

Nene said...

It's been nice the past 2 years to have our taxes done for us (paid by the company). Since we lived in Ireland, I guess that makes taxes a little tricky. Glad we didn't have to do it.