Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

AAAAHHHH RETIREMENT---AN UPDATE

I know there are a few people from where I used to work that read my blog occasionally so wanted to fill them in a little on my retirement.

I wrote a few blogs about moving back home with all of my work related clothes, pictures, books, and office supplies. That took a lot of work to sort through and get what mattered into the house in book cases, scrap books, files, mounted on walls and yes---even one box of work related stuff that I'll keep until I am sure I won't have to prove when I worked or what training (fire) I have taken stored in the basement. One day that box can go in the trash all at once. Woops guess not---it'll have to be shredded---every piece of paper has my name, date of birth and SSN on it. OH GOODIE ANOTHER COUPLE OF DAYS WORK GETTING RID OF WORK. I also took care of the four boxes of materials I have moved four times and never opened. I blogged a little about that but did salvage the books from those boxes.

I haven't taken care of the materials I had in my truck that I took to fires and used for everything else yet. It is still too cold to spend a lot of time in the garage although I have made some progress in getting it cleaned up too.

I have been working patiently on getting all of the rooms that Inklings took the wall paper off from painted--I am down to fixing and painting one window and painting a ceiling. Not too bad considering she pulled the paper off five rooms all at once. Should have that finished Monday - or Tuesday - or Wednesday - or Thursday - or whenever---will seem really good to have the house back together. Through this process I have found muscles that I haven't used for a while and have also found some that I didn't even know existed - I have been pretty sore in the arms and legs doing this. We have been debating flooring changes---still not sure if we are going with hardwood floors or carpet when we start changing them out.

I have been enjoying reading books---I have read---a lot. Yeah I know I did a lot of that at work too but this is for enjoyment not to find out where the next alligator was lurking.

THE SINGLE BEST THING ABOUT RETIREMENT IS I DON'T HAVE THE STRESSES I USED TO HAVE AND DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT MY NEXT VISIT WITH A SENATOR - OR FOR THAT MATTER THE FOREST SUPERVISOR. RETIREMENT IS GREAT. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IT!!!

No comments: