Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Friday, May 22, 2009

HOLIDAY WEEKEND MY A _ _

So the Memorial Day Weekend started for me today at noon. At 3:00 p.m. (1500) I got a call that people were locked out of their trailer over in the Gooseberry drainage past the closure gate and concrete barricades we put in place this week to keep people out of there so they wouldn't get into trouble. Yeah right - they didn't see the sign - because they parked their trailer last week end - right - I believe that a lot but can't prove otherwise. If I could I would simply write them a ticket and send them on their way for failure to obey a posted sign. Can't do that because I can't prove anything - so I just had my officer open up the gate and let them in and then closed the gate behind them - I had my officer tell them that if they went up the road any further than their trailer I would have them arrested and impound their trailer. Pretty big bluff - but I'll bet you a new car it works through the weekend. I also told him to tell them to use only their ATV's for ingress and egress to their campsite for the weekend. For a grand finale I had him tell them that on Monday when they are ready to leave they need to pull their trailer out with them and lock the gate behind them.

I am so tickled I have good people working for me. Most of my career I would have had to go up there and take care of this whole situation myself. It felt really good to talk to someone on the radio tell them what I wanted done and have it just happen. It is really great to have good people working for you.

I started working on my 40th season for the same employer this spring. In those 40 seasons I have not had one - no not one - three day holiday weekend during the months of May to November. I hope all ya'all have a great time with your three day holiday weekend. I think I will leave town for at least part of the rest of the weekend.

I am really looking forward to the beginning of fire season...can't wait to get out there and accomplish something. I don't get a lot of satisfaction in accomplishing things anymore because it is so hard to get any projects through the approval process anymore.

AHHHH RETIREMENT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD TONITE!!!!! WILL BE A GREAT DAY WHEN I AM NO LONGER RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STUPID PEOPLE!!!!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Hopefully this will be a good fire season and there won't be too many dangerous fires. Good luck out there! :)