Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Monday, June 30, 2008

WELCOME TO MY WORLD

I am currently the Mayor (appointed by the Incident Commander and I don't have to run for re-election) of a small fire town (400 firefighters) about 30 miles north of Hoopa, CA. The town we are by is called Orleans. We are currently taking care of seven fires that are expected to burn together into three before we can get around them and put them down. There are 24 Incident Management Teams assigned to 321 fires in California today. This is where I do my very best work---nobody ever tries to stop me from doing whatever I want to do in these scenarios---it is a good feeling to be respected by your peers.

I am having a tough time getting on the internet as much as I want to so this will have to do.

We are doing great out here but these fires will go on a long while (a long, long while). My folks got more stuff than all the others combined so we are setting good---in this occupation posession is 9/10ths of the law. We don't know for sure but we should only do the 14 day plus travel so we should be home by the 16th---if everything goes well.

You guys keep your blogs up to date--it makes it easy for me to see what you are up to.

2 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

You forgot to call me and tell me it wasn't the end of the world yet. Oh no, IT IS! Isn't it?!
:) j/k

*L*

Amber said...

Good luck and stay safe!!