Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Monday, March 24, 2008

TRIPPIN' TO RENO

Last week I went to Reno for a training assignment in fire Logistics---there were lots of people I knew at the training and lots more that knew me---I have been doing Logistics on a wildland fire management team for over 22 years so nearly everyone that does wildland fire has been on a fire with me somewhere in the US. It is always fun for me to go to these sessions because I am good at what I do---I also am tough on what I beleive so don't take much from the new instructors---I told one in class that what he was covering would not---I repeat NOT---happen in my watch---he went on about how great it was and that it would take a couple more years to perfect what they were talking about to which I said "AS I SAID---NOT IN MY WATCH" I plan to retire before that and everyone knows that.

BUT that isn't what I was going to write about---one of my really good friends was there and we spent some time gambling---and losing---so the last night I walked past the CRAP table with him and stopped---I went back and dropped a few bucks on the field (the poorest bet on the table) and hit it. I picked it up and continued to put it down when I felt like it---I hit 9 out of 11 plays and did really good---then I did something I have never been good at----I picked up my money and left---never to return to the tables again that trip---was fun to come home a winner---again. He kept saying I ought to play some money with you---I kept telling him to do whatever he wanted---he never put any money down and was HOT the rest of the trip that he let me play alone. We'll have something to talk about the rest of our lives because of this trip---it was fun.

1 comment:

PsychDoctor said...

Reminds me of my first time to Wendover...I was such a cheapskate that I wouldnt' gamble with my own money, but saw some coins in a machine that some drunk person had apparently left there. I took the 5-7 quarters that were there and won about $40...I did the same on my way home from San Francisco one time...and won about $35...every other time I have lost. I especially hated the Bellagio one time because my $10 roll of quarters was gone in like 5 minutes...they definitely don't have loose slots ...