Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Friday, November 16, 2007

IT NEVER GETS EASIER

A couple of nights ago I got a call from my son and I could tell immediately that something was bad wrong---I could hear the shake in his voice and the trembling of his lips. His daughter had just been shot in the eye with a BB gun. It was really hard on him 'cause he is about 400 miles away from them and really has to work to get where he can help.

We struggled with the news through the night and all the next day. Last night we found out that after all the CT scans and all the other tests that she is probably going to recover 100%. That is a great relief to us. She is having a very difficult time doing what the Doctor tells her she has to do---think about what it would be like to sleep at a 45 degree angle and not be able to move around or lift your head---I think it would be extremely tough even for me to meet those requirements.

When I was young we used to have BB gun fights in the old barn out back of the house. We did it every day and for many years. The end of those wars came because one of the participants got shot in the eye while he was looking through a crack in the barn. There were lots of tears and lots of concern and we were all terribly sorry about what happened---the rules were you couldn't shoot above the belt---but how do you explain to the parents what the rules of a game doing what you had been told all your life not to do---YUP---IT NEVER GETS ANY EASIER.

Just so y'all know he turned out OK too but through luck---not good management.

2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

The lucky thing with her was that it was just those little plastic BBs that came with the guns. If it'd been a smaller, metal one, she probably would have lost her eye. We got lucky this time.

PsychDoctor said...

Yeah...Big bro shot me in the forehead in P-Burg with his bb gun...luckily it didn't hit my eye...