Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

POTENTIALLY THE FIRST FIRE CALL OF THE YEAR

I got a call a few minutes ago to see if I would go to Las Cruces, New Mexico to do the Logistics on a pretty good sized fire there. I debated a couple of minutes then told them if they could work it through the dispatch centers I would go. I got a call a few minutes ago and they have placed the order but it won't come through until tomorrow morning now.

My last post was about being an adrenaline junkie---yup I am one---it is pumping like crazy and it isn't even a sure thing that I will get the call. Wonder how tough it will be to sleep tonight.

It is really nice to have people out there who remember you after you retire.

5 comments:

Looney said...

So they let you continue working after you retire?

Delirious said...

This is really nice that you could potentially still involved without having to come out of full retirement.

Dee Ice Hole said...

They have a program where they can hire emergency workers for fire and sometimes flooding. I signed up this spring because I wsn't sure I could take leaving fire behind. I think I was right. No call yet but I am excited.

With this type of work I don't have to put up with all the administrtive crap---and don't have to catch up on the work I left behind when I went like I used to have to do. This should be a fun run---at least for me.

Defunct Defunct said...

Hey D.I.H. — I'm a reporter working on covering that fire and information is scattered right now. Any way I could get in touch with you? I'm at the Las Cruces Sun-News, 575-541-5400. Good luck!
-Ashley Meeks.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Ashley---I am home now and no longer on the fire. It is always fun to go to one where you go in and put it down fast and go home. The IHC Crews on the fire that did the suppression actions were awesome. You can quote me on that. Those folks go every day and put everything they have into protecting what they are assigned to protect while keeping themselves safe.

The aircraft is fun to watch but they don't do much without ground support from the crews.