Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A NEW LIFE

Today is the beginning of the two day three southern forest range ride. It is a time for all of the Rangers and Range Managers to get together and look at range conditions and discuss things they have done to make range conditions better on their units. There are many of my friends that will be participating.

It is a very fun and interesting two days. I had planned to go. I debated all night if I should actually show up. This morning when I woke up I called one of the Range Cons that used to work for me and asked him to go for a drive with me. He did. I told him I had decided not to go and that I thought I needed to give the new Ranger a little distance and let him take over. I told him to tell everyone I wanted to go but thought better of it and cancelled my participation.

It would have been a great trip but that is part of the price you pay for a new life. I would never give up my retirement for a two day horse back trip.

3 comments:

Looney said...

A two day horse back trip sounds like a delightful way to use a retirement. But letting the new guy have some room sounds sensible too.

Nene said...

I think you were both smart, and considerate to bow out.

Dee Ice Hole said...

Looney and Nene---it was a tough call but I am certain it was the right one. The tough part was they had cherry cobbler and ice cream out on the trail for break today---we planned that a long time ago so that no one ever had a better dessert on one of these rides---there is a lot of competition with these guys. ;-)