Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

NEW DOORS

We are in the process of replacing the doors in our house. Many of them are broken and they don't make doors like ours anymore. When I went to see what I had to do to get new doors the guy at home depot told me all the things I would have to do. I decided I wasn't doing it but would hire it done.

I got a friend to do it for us---he came in and measured all the doors and they all had to be specially made because they are not standard size doors anymore--ours are 1/4 inch narrower than todays standard.

There were two choices of doors, solid and hollow core, with solid costing a little more money but being much better doors. We ordered solid core doors. They came and they were all hollow core...which means there was an error in the manufacturing ...the order was placed right by my friend and by the store where he ordered them from. This just goes to show that our law is correct---everything that can go wrong already has---and will again. After much discussion and cussin' we decided to go ahead and put in the doors that were delivered rather than wait an additional six weeks for new ones to be manufactured.

As they started mounting the doors they determined that one was completely the wrong measurement and would have to be returned but the rest were OK. Saturday they mounted five and Sunday they mounted five and yesterday they mounted one. That leaves one to mount and one to remanufacture and mount. It has taken a lot of time to make the little changes to the doors and door latches that didn't come out to exactly match what was in the measurements for our door frames.

I have watched this process carefully and there isn't a single thing they are doing that I couldn't do---but it would drive me absolutely crazy to have to do all the little things they are doing to make each door fit. I cannot understand how you can order something with exact measurements and get something different back and the manufacturer to think they have done a good job. I am soooo glad I hired my friend to do the job.

No comments: