Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Monday, April 13, 2009

My Grandpa -

Tonite I went to Wal-Mart and bought ten bags of manure for my garden at an amazingly low price of $1.97/bag. If my grandpa knew I paid that much for manure he would roll over in his grave. He was a rancher/farmer and raised hundreds of cattle. He would have gladly given you all the manure you could haul away just to get it away from the feeders.

Every time that I buy the bagged manure I think about how much manure all those cattle piled up in the feed yard. There was always a pile in the middle of the corral that was ten feet high and tapered out from there. When it was rainy and wet the cattle would go climb up onto the pile so they had their feet out of the water. It was funny to watch them do that, but they do it all the time.

I emptied the bags into the garden tonight and I'll have to go back and buy at least five more bags if I want to get a decent spread over the garden.

One of my friends stopped by tonight and we went down to the warehouse to look around and make sure that the horse I put back in tonight was still in the corral. As we passed the corrals he said "there is a huge pile of horse manure out there in the middle of the corral why don't you just go get a load of that." The reason I don't is because a few years ago one of the employees here was charged with theft of government property for taking a load of it home to his garden. That sucks pretty badly but you can bet your biffy I won't be using any of that manure on anything that is mine.

1:21 left in the Jazz game and it looks like they will win one for a change. They will have a tough time losing this one when they have a twenty point lead right now - stranger things have happened though. They did in fact win for a change. Was a good game where there was lots of teamwork and ball sharing for a change. It is fun to watch them play when there is that much passing of the ball going on.

NEXT UP - THE LAKERS.

3 comments:

Delirious said...

I don't have a very big garden space, but I put some manure in my garden a couple of months ago, and I can really see a difference in the plants that I have in the garden now.

Nene said...

I remember one time the Albuquerque temple gardners put manure all over the temple grounds - on the grass, flowerbeds, everywhere. The smell was really strong as I was walking into the temple at 7:30am, but when I got inside I couldn't smell it. However, as the day wore on the smell creeped into the temple. As I was leaving my shift, here came the matron with a can of aerosol deodorizer, spraying as she went down the hall. It might have smelled up the temple for a day or so, but later you could really see the benefits! Oh and by the way, the Abq. temple gardner is a woman. :0)

Lightning Strikes said...

That's sad!!! Its POO!!!!! They should just be glad you are getting rid of it for them!!!UGH I hate that people get mad about stupid stuff. Hope you get a good garden this year!!
Jazz did well last night...they best do it tonight VS the Lakers!!!