Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Friday, July 18, 2008

Preparing for Retirement

I have spent a little time this week trying to get all of the stuff for my retirement correct. What a pain that has been---not only did I need to straighten out a few things---there were other things I had to do before I could fix the ones I was aware of needing fixing. So by the end of today I will have proof positive that I have paid back everything that I have ever owed the government---and I have bought back my seasonal time which gives me three years more service---and I can prove that with receipts from the Office of Personnel Management.

I will also be in posession of all of the papers I need to file for designating my beneficiary which everyone knows is Inklings---right---well that is correct, however, if I don't designate her, with all of the proper forms, then all of the things she stands to inherit will have to go through probate court---which sometimes takes up to two years to get through. I can't imagine how anyone could ever get through two years without what they own and deserve.

I won't get those papers in the mail today though because no one can tell me the address and person I need to send them to---since we reorganized and sent all our personnel activities to Albuquerque.

So the rest of you take a hard look at what this means to you and if you want everything to go through probate court---let your stuff go through the other normal lawful process---as for me I want Inklings to have what she deserves as soon as she can get her hands on it.

I probably should have titled this PREPARE TO DIE.

7 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

It's not very fun to tell someone that their estate has to be probated. Utah isn't a common-law state, and sometimes people think that just because their husband owns property, they own property. Not the case...I've had to tell this to more than one client. Their response, "But he has a will?" (What I want to say, "Tell the judge, but I can't help you until he appoints a personal representative.") They argue, don't believe you, etc. It sucks.

*L*

Lindsay Logic said...

I'm glad you're thinking about this now. :)

*L*

Native Minnow said...

What a pain paperwork can be, but I'm glad you're getting it straightened out, even if I don't like to think about the implications of it all.

Delirious said...

What makes you so sure you will go first? ;)

Amber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

email me at amberlilynm@yahoo.com so I can add you to my invited reader's list on my blog

Dee Ice Hole said...

Delirious---I am certain I will go first because I have no concience...If Inklings hadn't had such a BIG concience she would have gone when she was so sick when we lived in Beaver......I tell her all the time if she dies her kids and grandkids are orphans----and I mean that--I can't stand the thought of doing it alone.