Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Friday, April 25, 2008

STAFF RIDE

I just got back from a Staff Ride (a ride where a group of fire people visit a fatality site to try to learn what not to do) to the Esparanza Fire on the San Bernardino Forest. I have looked at and reviewed a lot of fires but this is the one that has bothered me the very most. In every single case, until this one, I have been able to truthfully tell the kids that work for me---I would not have been there.

This is one where I would have been there---I don't know if I would have stayed and taken the actions they did to save the house---and if I would have stayed it would be against everything I have ever told myself and the kids that work for me. This one really hit home. From start to finish of whatever went wrong here they had less than two minutes to do whatever they could do to survive. That is the time they had if in fact they saw whatever went wrong when it went wrong. From the evidence we reviewed I believe they had less than 30 seconds to make their decision and take the actions they took.

Anyone can arm chair quarterback any decision that is made or any action that is taken. These five from ENGINE 57 ARE ALL HEROES. The didn't make it out but they damn sure did all they could for what they thought was the right thing.

We have chosen a dangerous occupation and the best that we can hope for is to have the judgement, the skill and the luck to make it through to retirement. I, for one, will make it simply because I no longer do the real tough part of fire fighting.

No comments: