Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Monday, November 28, 2011

ONE MORE THING TO BE THANKFUL FOR

For the last couple of days we would get a spurt of air before the water started to run when you turned the water on in the kitchen sink. I told Inklings that was an indication of a pipe break but we didn't have one in the house so it had to be on the city side of the line. I didn't worry at all about it being on our side of the meter because there were no wet spots and the meter didn't continue to run when the water was turned off.

This afternoon Inklings was doing something in the room with most of our books and heard a tiny noise. She called me to come and listen. I went in and immediately saw where a water leak was in the room above (the kitchen) so I went up to investigate further. There was quite a bit of water under the sink indicating the leak was somewhere close. I turned on the tap and nothing happened. I turned it off and water started running like crazy from the tap for a couple of seconds. I got close to the leak and had Inklings turn the tap on and then off---sure enough the relatively new faucet we had put in was leaking for a couple of seconds after the water was turned off.

I got out my tools and pulled the faucet off (the first rule of plumbing is never touch anything to do with plumbing unless the parts store is open) and took it to the parts store to get another one like it. The guy at the store looked at it and said this is one of ours--I'll just trade you out at no cost (a savings of $69.00). I took it home and did all the replacement things except when I was hooking up the last water line to the faucet I stripped the connection nut (and that is the reason you don't touch plumbing unless the store is open).

We went back to the store and bought a new connection line and I came home and finished the installation. Everything not only looks nice but it works like a champ too.

And now I am happy for the following reasons:
1. The leak didn't show up until after all of our company went home; 2. The parts store was open; 3. The leak didn't do much damage to our books or the house; 4. I was able to fix it myself; 5. It looks nice; 6. I stole Inklings picture of it; 7. We should be in good shape with the kitchen plumbing for a few more years now; 8. It felt pretty good to do something that mattered again.

HOPE Y'ALL HAD A GREAT THANKSGIVING TOO!!!

1 comment:

Nene said...

I like #6 :0) Great job! Plumbing is not something everyone can do. My husband can fix almost anything, but he always tells me and his kids that he is not a plumber.