Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Saturday, September 4, 2010

YA GOTTA LOVE IT

I spent five days last week on the Boise Complex of fires. When I left home there were 70 fires we were going to be responsible for. That in and of itself is insanity. By the time I arrived there was another team ordered for the fires on the south and another team for the fires on the north east---that left us with one major fire and 14 minor ones. That reduction in numbers was good because it got it to where you could keep track of what was going on where.

We had a couple of pretty good burning periods where our biggest fire grew and got a little scary because it got quite close to the structures. But the crews did good and with a burnout they were able to shut it down from going east and really pretty much shut it down---AND THEN IT RAINED, AND RAINED AND RAINED. Three nights in a row it rained---my tent leaked---and I punctured my queen size air matress---and the fires went out with some help from the crews so I came home and cleaned up my gear. I haven't repacked it yet but it is all in a pile in the bedroom on top of the two packs it goes back into.

I have put myself back up as available Nationally so I may just get one more chance to go out before fall gets here in full force. Ya gotta love it to do this time after time after time after time---I love getting to see all of my old friends when I go to these but I also like the adrenaline rush I get when I am in the heat of battle working a fire. OR MAYBE YOU HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO DO IT!!!!

3 comments:

Looney said...

Sounds like quite a method for getting the camping trips in. We just missed the rains, but others told us about them.

Dee Ice Hole said...

THEY WERE COLD---WINTER RAINS????

Looney said...

We camped three nights in different places. It went down to freezing each time. Winter is certainly on the way!