Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Thursday, September 30, 2010

More Arm Chair Quarterbacking


This map is only one day and 4,500 acres out of date but it shows most of the fire activity since I have been gone to a little fire of my own (about 1150 acres). The fire is now over 44,000 acres and growing a little every day. I believe they have made a new decision on it to put the fire out on the south end. If they get that part of the fire put down I think this one is history---yeah I know I said that earlier but this time I think it's over. From my perspective that would be a good move and would put this fire into the books of the Forest as the most effective management fire ever.

They are moving the fire camp to Beaver Monday since that is where the majority of the work that remains to be done is located. They did a really effective burn out near the I-70/I-15 Junction yesterday and I think that is shut down cold today. The rest of the fire along the west facing ridge (facing I-15) is hanging up on a prescribed burn that was done by about three years ago. I don't think it is possible for this fire to chew through that as there isn't enough fuel yet to sustain a good fire.

No comments: