Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

'TWAS THE NIGHT AFTER CHRISTMAS

"Twas the night after Christmas and all through the house---not a creature was stirring---not even a mouse. Everyone has gone to their own homes or out for the evening and the cat has KILLED the last mouse.

Man this is a lonely house when you are here by yourself---hardly ever happens to me but it is tonight.

Yesterday I talked to my college roommate and his wife. I haven't seen or talked to either of them since Dec. 15, 1967 (40 years and 10 days) when I left college to go to Basic Training in the military---when I returned from military training they had gotten married and had moved to New Mexico. I was sure they would never leave New Mexico---so when I went on a fire down there I looked for them in the toiwn he was from---nope---not there---in fact no one with the same name lived there anymore.....

Last week I decided to find them---I tried to get her dad's phone number where he lived---he is no longer alive---so I resorted to teh computer---the last blog was about that but----

We talked on the phone last night and it was exciting---we had all thought about the other ones a lot but didn't have any way to make contact---and never expected to do it again---It was great we shared a lot about our lives over the past 40+ years but there was a lot left out---some day we will get to sit down and talk about the good old days---but one thing we agreed about the good old days last night is that the speed with which we lived at that time in our lives (and it didn't seem like things were going fast or were dangerous) when we think about them--it SCARES THE HELL out of us. I wouldn't trade those two years for anything.

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

I don't think I was too crazy in my youth, but when I think about certain things I used to do, I think that I'm lucky to still be alive.