Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

REFLECTING ON RETIREMENT

I have been reflecting on my life for the past couple of hours. Today I retired for the second time---this time for Social Security with 48 quarters of compensable time. That is 12 years working---I retired from the Forest Service with 39 years and a couple of days working. That means I spent 51 years of my life working. I am 62 years old today so that means I started working full time when I was 11 years old. That isn't quite true---I started at 9 and took a few quarters off while I was unemployed and/or going to college. So quite frankly I couldn't remember a time in my life when I wasn't working until I retired from the FS. I was pretty worried that I wouldn't know what to do with myself in retirement. Well maybe I still don't know what to do but for sure I am enjoying not being tied to a job any more. I miss the heck out of the association with the people I worked with though.

I loved going on the fires I went to this past year but I didn't have to go---it was my choice whether I went or not. There is a great amount of freedom and enjoyment just in the fact that it was truly a choice. It pays me pretty well to go on the fires but only about 1/3 of what I got paid a year ago (when I was working for the FS) to do the same job. I have determined that I do fire for the adrenaline fix I get out of going and that I get to associate with some great people while I am doing it.

2 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

Happy Birthday! :) That is a long time to work!

Paige Ballard said...

I have to agree with you.. I think your adrenaline drive is what drove me into forestry. I so miss doing the fire work, just maybe someday I'll get to do it again...I need to upload those pictures I told you about...I will do it, I promise. I think you will have to send me your e-mail address directly.