Some say the world will end with fire.

Others say with ice.

From what I've tasted of desire

I hold with those that favor fire.

But if I had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate,

To say that for destruction ice,

Is also great and would suffice.

Robert Frost



"YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" - Ron White



"Good things come to those who wait, but, only the things LEFT by those who hustle." - Unknown (at least by me)



"Life is wonderful, without it you are dead." - Hy "Pete" Peterson - Park City and Kenecott Miner



"Don't worry about those people in your past---there is a reason they are not in your present." - Unknown



"Life's tough - it's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne



"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!" - Vince Lombardi



"If you aren’t living on the edge, you’re probably taking up too much space.” ~ Attributed to Jim Whittaker by Doug ‘Swani’ Swantner, Alaska Smokejumper and Air Attack Base Manager (Ret.)

About Me

My photo
I am married and have seven children and twenty grandchildren. I retired January 1, 2010 after working 39+ years for the Forest Service...NEW CHAPTER IN MY LIFE HAS BEGUN!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH

T'day I got a clean bill of health from all the tests the Doctor gave me last week. The blood glucose is moderately high, the cholesterol is below 200, I do not have prostrate cancer, and as of tonight at 1800 it is official. I DO NOT - REPEAT DO NOT - HAVE COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder). I have told the Doctor several times that my lungs are fine and the only place I have any remaining problems associated with 40 years of smoking is in my bronchial tubes and on my vocal cords. The diagnosis and the breathing test I took last week confirms it - I am clean and my lungs are clear - I still have to stay on the prescriptions he has me on because they help with the swelling in the bronchial tubes but it is a good feeling to get that diagnosis out of my files.

OK so it is two years, five months, thirteen days, eighteen hours, forty five minutes and 25 seconds since I quit smoking (but who's counting?) and I have finally cleaned out my lungs. The doctor told me that it was very likely that I would be completely clear by two years - I was pretty disappointed when that didn't happen but guess I am ok with it now.

When I went in for the breathing test the technician asked me why I was there and I told him I thought I had been mis-diagnosed - he said well when we are through here we'll let your doctor know and he can decide. We went through the test and my oxygen saturation was 103, I breathed in 5 times more air when told to inhale deeply and breathed out 25 percent more air when told to breath out than I did in the normal breathing mode. They tested me also after a treatment of albuterol - which is supposed to help a lot - and every single response was worse than before I was treated. As I was getting ready to leave the technician said "You may be right." TURNS OUT I WAS RIGHT AND HAVE BEEN RIGHT FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.

I am ecstatic - I DON'T HAVE COPD - can't get much better than that!!!

6 comments:

Lindsay Logic said...

I'm glad you don't have COPD, that's great news! Congrats on staying quit, too!

MJ said...

I'm proud of you for quitting! That is awesome. That's good to hear you don't have COPD.

Nene said...

Isn't it nice to go to the doctor and get good news for a change?
And it is good news!

Dee Ice Hole said...

YEAH It is good news - but I have been trying to tell him for about a year that I am better. I keep telling the insurance company nurse that calls me every month that I am better too but she keeps calling anyway - in fact she insisted on these tests this go round. Can't wait until she calls again....

Amber said...

congratulations on a clean bill of health, not having COPD, and having not smoked for that long - GOOD JOB!!! :)

PsychDoctor said...

congrats...Melissa's aunt has COPD and has to carry an oxygen tank everywhere.